Re: Fetchmail question

Sasa Stupar wrote:
> Running mail server on FC3 - sendmail+cyrus. Some user want to fetch mail
> from other servers so I have provided then fetchmail functionality. The
> question is how to run fetchmail as a daemon for all users at server
> startup?
> For now every user is responsible to run fetchmail -d xxx manually but if
> server went down for some reason then they need again manually to start it

Do I understand that you want to run fetchmail as a service? Put the
attached script under /etc/init.d, copy the .fetchmailrc to
/etc/fetchmailrc, run "chkconfig --add fetchmail", and turn it on
however you normally turn on services.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
Exeter    Devon    UK | all you deal with are half-wits.

# source function library
. /etc/init.d/functions

INTERVAL=500 # seconds

RETVAL=0

start() {
	echo -n $"Starting fetchmail: "
	daemon fetchmail -d $INTERVAL --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc
	RETVAL=$?
	echo
	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/fetchmail
}

stop() {
	echo -n $"Shutting down fetchmail: "
	killproc fetchmail
	RETVAL=$?

	echo
	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/fetchmail
}

case "$1" in
  start)
	start
	;;
  stop)
	stop
	;;
  restart|reload)
	stop
	start
	RETVAL=$?
	;;
  condrestart)
	if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/fetchmail ]; then
	    stop
	    start
	    RETVAL=$?
	fi
	;;
  status)
	status fetchmail
	RETVAL=$?
	;;
  *)
	echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
	exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL