Excel automation on linux

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to the linux (Fedora Core 2) environment and hope that this
question is suitable for this mailing list.
I currently have a program written in C++ which is used to automate Microsoft
Excel by writing out data to the spreadsheet and then updating about 10
charts based on this data in the spreadsheet. I'm not sure if any of you
are familiar with the Microsoft environment but the program is developed
in Visual Studio 6 and is based on the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
I have Open Office installed on my linux machine and I know it is possible
to open / read / write an Excel file using Open Office Calc and to create
charts manually.
What I'm wondering is if it is possible to automate the process of writing
to and updating the charts in an Excel file in C / C++ code so that it will
work in the same way as the windows program I already have and where could
I get documentation on how to do this. If its not possible to do this with
Excel files (although I would prefer to use Excel files), is it possible
to automate the process using the standard Calc spreadsheet file format,
.sxc and where could I get documentation on how to do this. Alternatively,
would there be any way to port the program I already have on Windows to
linux.

Thanks,
David