Re: fetchmail stuipidity

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 11:10 -0800, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:52:56 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Same here. After each fetchmail-run (which fetches the legit mails and
> > > leaves some rubbish behind), I run a small script which telnets into the
> > > POP3 account and deletes all remaining mail @ the ISP. I'm assuming here
> > > that the badly formatted mails are spam anyhow.
> > ----
> > can I look at the script - I only need the part after the login - I
> > simply don't know the commands to speak IMAP once I am logged in and
> > searches on the internet have been fairly unclear. In my case, they
> > indeed were all spam that I deleted. and since I started this thread a
> > few days ago, there are now 8 of them already.
> >
> > It appears that they have a null character in the header which fetchmail
> > must not like and from Mike Klimke's explanation and going back through
> > the email exchange, it appears that my ISP's smtp server is rather
> > liberal (some might say broken) in what it accepts for email.
> >
> As an added note, you shouldn't need to write a script to erase your email from
> your isp. Put expunge 1 in your .fetchmailrc file. That will erase the mail
> for each message received.
----
that's not a recommended option for fetchmail...

-e <count> | --expunge <count>
(keyword:  expunge) Arrange for deletions to be made final after
a given number of messages.  Under POP2 or POP3, fetchmail  can-
not  make  deletions  final  without sending QUIT and ending the
session -- with this option on, fetchmail will break a long mail
retrieval  session into multiple subsessions, sending QUIT after
each sub-session. This is a good defense against line  drops  on
POP3  servers that do not do the equivalent of a QUIT on hangup.
Under IMAP, fetchmail normally issues an EXPUNGE  command  after
each  deletion in order to force the deletion to be done immedi-
ately.  This is safest when your connection  to  the  server  is
flaky and expensive, as it avoids resending duplicate mail after
a line hit.  However, on large mailboxes  the  overhead  of  re-
indexing after every message can slam the server pretty hard, so
if your connection is reliable it is good to  do  expunges  less
frequently.   Also  note  that some servers enforce a delay of a
few seconds after each quit, so fetchmail may not be able to get
back  in immediately after an expunge -- you may see "lock busy"
errors if this happens. If you specify this option to an integer
N,  it  tells  fetchmail  to  only  issue  expunges on every Nth
delete.  An argument of zero suppresses expunges entirely (so no
expunges at all will be done until the end of run).  This option
does not work with ETRN or ODMR.

script makes more sense to me.

Craig