Re: eth0

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 21:10 +0900, naxis wrote:
> hello Paul,
> I would like you to tell me how to change the order of the start up
> order.

This is what my laptop's /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ looks like now:

[pmbuc@pmbnote1 ~]$ ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
K01yum             K50snmptrapd      K99microcode_ctl    S28autofs
K02NetworkManager  K61hpoj           S04diskdump         S44acpid
K03rhnsd           K66mDNSResponder  S04readahead_early  S55cups
K05saslauthd       K67nifd           S05kudzu            S56xinetd
K10lirc            K68rpcgssd        S06cpuspeed         S85gpm
K10psacct          K69rpcidmapd      S09pcmcia           S90crond
K20nfs             K69rpcsvcgssd     S10network          S90xfs
K24irda            K73ypbind         S11firestarter      S92lisa
K25sshd            K74nscd           S11netplugd         S95anacron
K30sendmail        K74ntpd           S12syslog           S95atd
K30spamassassin    K85mdmonitor      S13portmap          S96readahead
K35vncserver       K85mdmpd          S14nfslock          S97messagebus
K35winbind         K87irqbalance     S20laptop-mode      S98cups-config-
daemon
K40smartd          K90bluetooth      S25netfs            S98haldaemon
K50netdump         K91isdn           S26apmd             S99local
K50snmpd           K92iptables       S26lm_sensors

Notice that the symlink for the PCMCIA services is "S09pcmcia" and the
one for the network is "S10network". Originally, if memory serves me,
the PCMCIA symlink was "S24pcmcia". To change the order in which
services will load, you change their "S" number.

# mv S24pcmcia S09pcmcia  (in my case)

The new value/name doesn't have to be unique by number. Several services
can/will have start numbers that are equal. If there is any doubt about
other services not loading in the proper order by doing so, it would be
best to make the start number for the renamed symlink unique, as I did
on mine.

Keep in mind that if you change the starting order of services, you may
need to change the order in which they are killed during reboot (rc0.d)
or shutdown (rc6.d).

That's it.

HTH,

Paul