Re: bit of topic, but might make few people lough

Quoting Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:45:30

> Okay, that is funny.  Maybe their domain name is meant to be taken
> literally?

Who knows, maybe ;-)

> However the NS records are on sonic.net, which is supposedly their
> hosting ISP.    I can't currently find any delegation or other records to
> the
> ipwhois subdomain (even an SOA record); so perhaps they are already
> in the process of fixing it??
>
> I think maybe they should re-evaluate their ISP?

Actually, seems that they discontinued their ipwhois database.  And instead of
returning NXDOMAIN for queries, they did this stupidity in hope that it will
have effect of people stopping using it.  In reality, they are mostly filling
logs of DNS servers administered by people who had nothing to do with original
queries (and will most likely simply ignore those entries in log files since
they have nothing to do with them), and most of automated software that was
using it (such as SpamAssassin) treats SERVFAIL response just the same as
NXDOMAIN response (so end user who installed SpamAssassin or similar software
isn't going to notice it at all).  Basically, they did something plain stupid
(even in case they are not violating any RFCs).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited