Re: fetchmail stuipidity

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:39:57 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 08:19 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> > On Friday 18 February 2005 01:20, Craig White wrote:
> > > I just manually cleaned off 460+ emails from my ISP's mailbox
> > > that I 'fetch' mail from.
> > >
> > > they were logging in my fetchmail log as...
> > >
> > > fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers
> > >

> > I first noticed this behavior back in May of 2003. A change was made
> >
> > at this point to "bullet proof" the header-to-body detection code
> > and the end result forces those messages with a defective header to
> > be retained on the server.  Versions of fetchmail prior ot 6.1.3
> > didn't exhibit this behavior.  There was a patch released to
> > address this problem by one of the maintainers but it was shortly
> > after that time that I no longer needed fetchmail on any of my
> > systems; well, until this week ... and I'm now seeing the same
> > problem again that you describe on one test box here.  If you look
> > at the fetchmail archives you should see a bit of discussion on
> > this topic.  There was also a bit of discussion on the Redhat-List
> > around that time.
> ----
> Indeed - looked at fetchmail list and your comments were indeed there.
> Appears I share problem of ISP which accepts email without discretion
> as to whether they comply with rfc's and I have to clean up the mess
> afterwards  ;-(
>
> I suppose that I can login to IMAP server via telnet and do something
> like a delete all once a month - have to learn IMAP commands...

You may be able to delete the offending emails with mailfilter:

http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net

Although it's an anti-spam tool, you can certainly run it as a
standalone once a month to delete mails. The main thing is that you have
to be able to identify what the offending header looks like - once you
do that, it's very easy.

cheers,
Robert