Re: fetchmail stuipidity

Mike Klinke wrote:
On Friday 18 February 2005 01:20, Craig White wrote:

I just manually cleaned off 460+ emails from my ISP's mailbox
that I 'fetch' mail from.

they were logging in my fetchmail log as...

fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers

I first noticed this behavior back in May of 2003. A change was made at this point to "bullet proof" the header-to-body detection code and the end result forces those messages with a defective header to be retained on the server. Versions of fetchmail prior ot 6.1.3 didn't exhibit this behavior. There was a patch released to address this problem by one of the maintainers but it was shortly after that time that I no longer needed fetchmail on any of my systems; well, until this week ... and I'm now seeing the same problem again that you describe on one test box here. If you look at the fetchmail archives you should see a bit of discussion on this topic. There was also a bit of discussion on the Redhat-List around that time.

A possible workaround might be to try "getmail" instead of "fetchmail"; I have RPMs for getmail at: http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/mail/

Paul.