Re: Black page instead of login screen-Fedora2

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 16:55 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 01:25 -0500, Mark Sargent wrote:

> > > Nothing proprietary there then. Try booting to runlevel 3 (press "e" at
> > > the grub prompt and add " 3" to the end of the boot command line, then
> > > press return to boot). Log in as any user (assuming it gets that far)
> > > and try:
> > >
> > > $ startx >X.out 2>X.err
> > >
> > > Then look in X.out and X.err to see if there are any useful diagnostics.

> > > Your email's Date: header says:
> > >
> > > Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:37:05 -0500
> > >
> > > Is that the right time and timezone offset for where you are?
> > >
> > > Paul.
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > ok, thanx , Paul, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Time is 1.20am here on Fri the
> > 18th. Cheers.
> >
> > Mark Sargent.
> >

> I think Paul forgot about the international date line between the US and
> Japan.  So yes the time will be with tomorrows date....(from out
> perspective)

No, I didn't forget that; for everyone who's clock/timezone are set
correctly, taking the current time and subtracting the time offset for
the timezone should result in the same time (aka UTC).

So, when it was Feb 18th 1.20am in Japan (+0900), it was Feb 17th 16:20
UTC. Now I'm in the UK and we're currently on GMT, which, very
conveniently for the purposes of discussing timezones, is +0000 i.e. the
same as UTC, so it's easy to compare times here.

Moreover, I'm using evolution, and my fedora-list folder is date-sorted.
Evolution looks at the Date: header of emails and uses the timezone
offset there to adjust the date it shows in the "Date" column of the
folder to localtime. So, no matter where in the world people are posting
from, as long as their clocks and timezones are set correctly, all mails
appear in the right order, with the "date" column in the mail folder
showing the date and time in the user's local timezone when the mail was
sent.

Now Mark's machine, instead of running with the timezone set to +0900,
has it set to -0500 (maybe he's visiting Japan but is normally based on
the East coast of the US?). As a result of this, his email sent at
1.20am Japan time (16:20 the previous day UTC) showed up as being sent
at 6:20am 18th February, some 14 hours fast. So all Mark's emails show
up at the top of the date-sorted list (at least for the next 14 hours),
out of order. Similarly, people whose clocks/timezones are out in the
other direction will have their messages disappearing from view, hidden
below all the messages that appear to have been sent later.

This is all no big deal really, because I could always turn on a
threaded view for the folder, which would probably fix up most of the
ordering issues for my mail client. However, as a courtesy I pointed out
the problem to Mark so that he could fix it if he so desires.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>