RE: Troubles setting up basic internet access

A couple of questions since you said you were new.

1.  Did you internet connection through this DSL modem work
    on a windows box before you loaded Linux?  It appears that since
    you are able to talk to the modem your basic ethernet connection
    is working.

2.  If you run ifconfig -a
    what do you get for an IP address?  Most likely on eth0.
    The DSL modem may be doing NAT (network address translation)
    between your machine and the internet.  Addresses in the 192.168.*.* range
    or the 10.0.*.* range indicate that NAT is on.

3.  If NAT is on, you need to determine if the DSL modem has an IP address
    on the WAN side.  You will need to refer to the documentation that came
    with the modem to get that working.  It will be done through the
    web interface which you said you can get up.

4.  Just as a sanity check, your Linux PC is plugged right into the
    DSL modem, right?  You don't have a router in between.  That changes
    things.   The telephone cord and the cable from your PC plug into the
    same box.