/etc/rc.d/rc*.d/K35winbind (and others) not called during runlevel change

Greetings

When my server shuts down, reboots, or goes into single user mode, the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/winbind script is not called even though a K35winbind
exists in each of the runlevels.  Not even the TERM and KILL signals
sent at the end from halt stop winbind. However, if I drop to runlevel 1
and type service winbind stop, it stops just fine!

I tried chkconfig --del winbind, then chkconfig --add winbind and
chkconfig winbind on, just in case something was fishy with the symbolic
links.  I also called /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K35winbind stop just to make sure
it works, and it does.

Since winbind is still running, my /usr partition will not unmount at
the end of shutting down.  I receive the "Device or Resource Busy"
errors, it retries about three times, gives up, and proceeds to shut
down.  My /dev/md1 is also reported as still running instead of in read
only mode.

Here's some details:

/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/
K01nagios              K10xfs        K50snmptrapd      K74apmd
K92iptables
K01yum                 K12dc_client  K50xinetd         K74lm_sensors
K94diskdump
K02cups-config-daemon  K15gpm        K56acpid          K74nscd
K95kudzu
K02haldaemon           K15httpd      K60crond          K74ntpd
K96pcmcia
K02NetworkManager      K20nfs        K66mDNSResponder  K75netfs
K99mdmonitor
K03messagebus          K24irda       K67nifd           K86nfslock
K99mdmpd
K03rhnsd               K25sshd       K68rpcgssd        K87irqbalance
K99microcode_ctl
K05anacron             K30postfix    K69rpcidmapd      K87portmap
K99readahead
K05atd                 K35winbind    K69rpcsvcgssd     K88syslog
K99readahead_early
K05saslauthd           K36mysqld     K70aep1000        K89netplugd
S00single
K10cups                K40smartd     K70bcm5820        K90bluetooth
S06cpuspeed
K10dc_server           K50netdump    K72autofs         K90network
K10psacct              K50snmpd      K73ypbind         K91isdn

chkconfig --list winbind
winbind         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

ll K35winbind
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 17 Feb 17 11:34 K35winbind -> ../init.d/winbind

/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K35winbind stop

Shutting down Winbind services:                            [  OK  ]

samba-common-3.0.10-1.fc3
samba-client-3.0.10-1.fc3

Also, nothing appears in the system log either.  When I "telinit 1" or
"shutdown now," Shutting down Winbind services: [  OK  ], never appears
onscreen.  In fact, I put an echo right at the beginning of
/etc/rc.d/init.d/winbind and /etc/init.d/winbind just to see if the
script ever gets called, and it doesn't!  I also changed the K35winbind
to various K##winbind combinations to try it it different places with no
avail.

--

Shawn Iverson
Technology Associate