Re: Cannot connect to a UPS on a usb port in FC3 using

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:02:59 -0500
From: javier perez <pepebuho.jp@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to a UPS on a usb port in FC3 using
apcupsd
To: jmblin@xxxxxxxxxxx, For users of Fedora Core releases
<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:52:44 -0600, john bray <jmblin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 02:40 +0000, waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > ( I sent this in earlier, but it appears to have bounced because I sent
> > it from the wrong address. Apologies if it comes through twice)
> >
> > I have a couple of APC ups's here and one of them connects back to my
> > main machine via a USB cable.  Monitoring the UPS has worked very well
> > for at least a year.
> >
> > Recently (had an ap that wouldn't run on FC2 - had to have FC3) I
> > upgraded the box to FC3. As anticipated everything else worked just
> > fine - of course I had to add a line to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> > which looks like
> >         KERNEL="ttyUSB1",SYMLINK="pilot"
> > to get my palm pilot to synch up normally.
> >
> > I have been using apcupsd for some time to monitor the UPS; however,
> > even after RTFM'ing the docs several times (and this list, and some
> > others, and everthing else I thought relevent) I am still stumped.
> >
> > To make a long story short, I suspect that what I am missing is the
> > device name to use here - it would have been /dev/ttyUSB# under FC2
> > without udev, but under FC3 I don't know what device to list AND I dont'
> > know the listing to put in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules.
> >
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>

> hey william -  i've got an apc box working via apcupsd in FC3.  it
> points to DEVICE /dev/hiddev[0-15]
>
> and appears to work like a champ.
>
> john
>

>I had a similar problem and now apcupsd sees the USB port. Now my
>problem is that connection on localhost port 3551 is being refused.
>What can I do? I checked the apcupsd page and did not see anything
>other than please turn on the server. The server is on, at least on my
>config file

Here's the probs I ran into and finally got it to work:

There is a section specific to FC3 and a 2.6 kernel in the manual, page 14.
Here's the link for the online manual:

http://www.apcupsd.org/3.10.x-manual/Checking-Out-Your-USB-Subsystem.html#Checking-Out-Your-USB-Subsystem

I was able to see the USB connection with  "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices", but
there was no driver connection and the NETSERVER was not seeing it and port
3551 was refused.  I used the  ** BUS="usb", SYSFS[idVendor]="051d",
NAME="usb/hiddev%n" ** statement in  the "50-udev.rules" file.  After that,
works like a champ.  I did this with a Back-UPS 750 ES USB initially and no
problems.  I reinstalled and switched to a Back-UPS 725 ES USB, and
occasionally FC3 won't see the USB connection.  I end up having to shutdown
the Fedora box, switch the UPS off and on quickly and restart Fedora and all
is well.  (I think there is a hiccup in the UPS hardware...not sure).  That
is the short version of my hours of headbanging...any more specific
questions, please post.