Re: GNOME Desktop

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:25:54 +0100, Mostafa Z. Afgani
<mostafa.afgani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bruno Santos wrote:
> | Hello all.
> |
> | Im having some trouble with gnome in FC3.
> |
> | Everytime i create a new shortcut, i have to logout and then login again
> | for the icon apear in my desktop.
> | Is that a gnome problem, or some configuration issue ?
> | can anyone tell me how to solve it ?
> |
> | cheers
> |
> | Bruno Santos
> |

> Have you tried "Ctrl+R" on the desktop to refresh the view? I have
> noticed that new files don't show up until you do a refresh ..

No its not a Gnome bug. Gnome is now using gamin as the monitor
through its file browser (Nautilus). This program ensures that
Nautilus is always kept aware of any changes that are made. That is
why you need to hit refresh to view any newly added file. Fam was the
old way and gamin is really a branch of fam which stands for File
Alteration Monitor so you can decypher what that means.

I dont know if FC3 installs any of them as they are not needed but do
make your file manager recognize changes and keep up with them much
more efficiently. Even in KDE this is the case and it takes a few
seconds or sometimes even a refresh to show a newly added file through
the gui. Microsoft Explorer ovecomes this by being in a constant state
of "refresh" which isnt to good on memory usage.

But this is not a bug, its normal behaviour. Check your install and
see what you have running. Since you are using Gnome, make sure you
install the latest version of gamin and stick it in your start script
so it loads by default, this should help in Nautilus keeping track of
newly created files. Conversely if you run KDE, gamin, while being a
much better work off fam, runs quite poorly, so you will have to stick
with fam which runs off the horribly unsecure portmap...
End Quote

gamin is install by default but if you do a top i don't see it listed
as a running process
also, in services  it is not listed there
any thoughts to the gurus out there?

~Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813
When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.
It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.