Re: IP address variable

John Miller wrote:

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

Yes. That's what I'm saying. Why bother? What is DNS for?

DNS is for assigning IP addresses dynamically. The hosts file is for assigning DNS addresses (semi-) permanently.

Of course, I may not be up-to-date on these things...

Really? Well, I guess I'd better just drop all of my DNS zone files, then, if it's all going to be done dynamically.

No...dynamic DNS is for setting things dynamically...DNS is for setting the names from a central point...unless you're running a standalone system which has no name service pointing to it at all, you're better off using DNS for this than to have to maintain a hosts file on every system on your network.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit