Re: i586 to i686 upgrade

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Thomas Cameron wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: i586 to i686 upgrade

On 02/16/2005 08:24:11 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
I've just moved my wife's Fedora Core 3 drive from a VIA C3-based
system to an Pentium III-based box.  How can I convince RPM, up2date,
etc. that it's now running on an i686 rather than an i586?

Should just happen.
Packages for i586 may not be replaced automatically until the next time there is an update for them, but where there is - it should grab the i686 package if there is a choice.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/

Take a look at /etc/rpm/platform. My system is an i686 and the file looks like this:

i686-redhat-linux

If yours is different you might need to change it.

Thomas

You can replace the key packages (kernel, glibc, openssl) by hand. Boot a kernel that you don't want to upgrade, then "rpm -ivh --oldpackage --replacepkgs kernel-XXX.i686.rpm" and "rpm -Fvh --replacepkgs glibc-YYY.i686.rpm openssl-ZZZ.i686.rpm". Then reboot to your new kernel and install the i686 version of your old kernel if you want.

The --oldpackage allows installing a package older than the latest. The --replacepkgs allows replacement of a package with another of the same version. You want to -ivh the kernel so you don't wipe out the one you are running.

As always, be careful, and make sure you have backups. You might want to wait a little bit and see if anyone flames me to a crisp for suggesting this before you try it.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu