Re: FC3 and the oom-killer

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Andy Barclay wrote:

I am running 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 on my home machine.

The machine has 2 GB of RAM and 4 GB of swap.

I need to run windows XP in a vmware session (for accessing a customer's network with a windows-only vpn).

I have allocated 1596 MB for my XP virtual machine. When I launch the guest OS,
after a short while, it gets killed.

Looking in /var/log/messages, I find that this is because of the oom-killer. This just sucks. I don't ever want the kernel to randomly kill my processes. After researching this, I found that
if I echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory, it is supposed to disable the oom-killer.

I've done this, and I *thought* this was working (I worked for a day without it kicking in), but now, I'm sure the value is "2", but oom-killer is still killing my vm. I've seen notes on the net that say the "2" is not supported yet.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop this thing.....

Reduce the VM memory foootprint?

I have a 512M machine and vmware's recommendation for maximum memory footprint is 276M. (This is VMware-Workstation, not VMX, but I can't imagine you need much more unless you are doing some heavy-duty serving or computing.)

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu