Re: Please help with mplayer problem

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 20:16 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

I have done some searching via google on the issue, however most of the results aren't in english, strangely. Anyways. I'd setup FC3 for a friend of mine. And I had connected to the machine via ssh (from my home). Well I was having a little fun. I was playing a few songs on the remote machine using mplayer. Suddenly mplayer gave the following message:

[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Nope; you're not on the console, so you're not using the soundcard.
You _could_ use esd to do this, but it's a little insecure and kinda a
pain. Esd would route the sound to your local esd, where it'd play on
your machine. (Yeah, it's a kind of magic...)

You got me there. I can't remember if that message displayed before, when things worked, for the simple reason that it was working.
But just to clarify, when I shh'ed to the machine, i'd run mplayer, and the sound would come out smoothly over the remote computers speakers. Now that functionality is suddenly broken. As in it was workign before. I have no idea what I did wrong :(

   :)

Is this something you need, or just having fun? If you need it, you
might think about using that machine's webserver to host the files, and
play'em from mplayer/bmp/xmms/etc.

Nah I was just havign fun with it. But the main thing is that it apperently has some side effect in that music takes long to start locally, which is totally uncool, at least on a personal computer. So I'd really like to fix what ever it is I did. But I have no ideas as to where to start looking.