Re: New Fedora Desktop User

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 12:47, Michael wrote:
> Hi. I have just installed Fedora on my desktop machines and have a
> question.
>
> I currently use Gentoo on all my servers and Fedora is just a little
> different!
>
> Anyway, when I go into the Network, it just hangs with a spinning timer.
> What do I need to change, and where do I need to change it in order to
> use SMB / NFS.
>
> Also When I go into my local FTP site, I can see the files and
> directorys, but when I try to access them, I get the error of "Could Not
> Display filename"

Difficult to say with the information provided.

You need to make sure you have installed and configured samba and NFS
correctly.  You will also need to modify the default firewall rules to
permit samba connections.  This usually means accepting UDP 137,138 and
TCP 139, 445.

Not sure about the ftp error you are seeing.  Could you be having a
problem with active/passive access?  Could also be a firewall problem.

For both cases you might temporarily disable the firewall and test to
see if that is the actual problem.  If it is then search out the changes
you need on the firewall to permit the access you want.

--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.