Re: Linux sucks? <depending on what you are trying to do!>

bizzorg wrote:

My favorite Operating system vendor is the one sending me commission or royalty checks, since I'm not receiving money from any vendor, I DON'T have a favorite.

I have FC3 installed on my 2nd hard drive. There are a a few issues I have with FC3 that I don't have with Win/XP.

Dude welcome to the party. Let me just tell you that you're lucky that WinXP works well for you. I myself have WinME on dual boot for the odd time when I need somethign windows only.

1.) My Sound Blaster 7.1 is not supported in FC3.

I'm very suprised to hear that. From my experience, SB is one of the better Linux supported soundcards. BTW: are you sure that's the name? I was just on sound blaster's website and I can't seem to find that model.

2.) FC3 tolerates my Nvidia Geforce video card. I have not found drivers yet.

Don't you love that. Technically it had no reason to work until you gave it the correct drivers.

3.) I'm running up2date but it's doing NOTHING! I place my pointer on the progress window and all I get is the hourglass.

Good. So I'm not alone. Here's what I suggest: Before you go to bed next time, open a terminal, become root, and then run `yum -y update`, or just for funt run `time yum -y update`. Then go to bed and have a goodnights rest. When you wake up all should be well. Just double check by rebooting the machine.

4.) One of my favorite games, Age of Empires is a Windows based game. I supposed if I take the time to learn Wine I can play it on FC3.

Yah. I liked exactly the same game, however there are four consoles in my house so I don't miss it that much. According to wines website you can get Age of Empires to work. However it will run slower, and will not have multiplayer support (the only reason I really liked to play it)

I do like the fact that Spyware or viruses do not infect my system with Linux activated.

The way I had my WinME setup and maintained, I had too little spyware to be noticeable, and Norton had my back. However I had never formatted, or reinstalled. Since, well since WinME came out and it got installed onthe machine. And a slew of other things. Then of course there are always the random error whose causes never seem to be understood. So formatted my HDD, intalled WinME clean , then installed FC3, and defaulted grub to it. Life has been sweet. I must admit that it can be boring: no defrag, scandisk, weekly norton scan, montly adware scan, discleanups, or occasional registry cleanup.

If you really like games on the PC, I would suggest a fresh Windos minimal install and then dispabling the network drivers. Then install all the games you love.