Re: Core 3 Freezes at 1.st start of X after install

Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 08:35 +0100, Linux wrote:

Hi,

Just installed core 3 and did the first reboot. After picking username & passwd I adjusted the screen size (¤%&/¤&%/) and then went on to the first start of X.
The screen went black and the computer freezes and nothing but pulling the power cord works.
I have set the computer to go into runlevel 3, and have searched for the config file for X
I've tryed everything from xconfigure to xf86config and so on.... but no "configprogram" editing of the etc/x11/...config file didn't work either..

Whats the name of the config program?

Try:

# system-config-display --reconfig

Paul.

Theres something terribly wrong here... I have had Fedora Core 2 on this one earlyer.. and -.....
The computer is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A7600
Core 3 identyfy the video card as ATI Radeon Mobility U1 (The same as Core 2 did)
I have tryed different settings now, even 800X600 on the display.
As soon as X is started the computer freezes. I cant even use the ctrl-alt-backspace or del.

Can anyone help me on how to track down the problem..

Tor Harald Thorland

I am able to use my videocard if I don't ctl-alt-Fn to a terminal and then back to the GUI or launch tuxracer.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1

The problem was not there in FC2, but surfaced in FC3.

Try booting in runlevel 3 and keep away from ctl-alt-Fn to a terminal or launching tuxracer.

I have rawhide fully updated and might be able to see if the problem is resolved or still present. Lockups are better avoided.

If you can get your display to happen with similar results, a bug report referring to the radeon driver and this video card type. The best results are when you file a bug in the xorg-x11 bugzilla tracking system.

Jim

--
The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.
-- John Kenneth Galbraith