Re: Hyperthreading Support with FC3

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:22 -0500, Jan Morales wrote:
> I am running FC3 on a P4 with HT. The installation chose the SMP kernel
> and it runs very well. Would it run better if I disabled HT and ran the
> regular kernel?

Of course it runs stable and it may even be appealing to run an SMP
kernel but you will very likely not gain any performance from it because
you still have only one physical CPU.

In fact you may even loose some performance because the kernel needs to
do more complicated SMP compatible locking and distribute the load among
these emulated processors.

I believe the main benefit of HyperThreading is that it made threading
more popular among application developers but this only pays off when
using a real multiprocessor platform.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."