Re: Linux Desktop for university staff

Murat Tepegoz wrote:

SNIP

Office: Openoffice.org. Write and calc are perfect alternatives to word and
excel. Abiword always crashes abnormally. I could not try koffice yet. I use
kile for latex.

     SNIP

I think "perfect alternative" to excel is a bit of overstatement regarding oo.o calc. Calc is limited to 32,000 rows whereas excel can handle larger files and calc does not have as many built in functions for users to draw on (date manipulations such as determining the time between two dates come to mind). Gnumeric appears capable of handling files as large as excel can take, but the last time I evaluated statistical and financial functions in Gnumeric some of those functions did not produce output that was directly useable for polished presentations.

Additionally, I have not shared your experience with Abiword crashing abnormally. I also find that Abiword is capable of importing more formats than oo.o and can accept text/numbers copied from, say, a mozilla browser screen where oo.o Write cannot.

I use oo.o write and calc, abiword, and gnumeric as needed to meet the requirements of my projects.

The "R" statistical package (http://www.r-project.org/) is a good substitute for S" and should not be overlooked in your list of software.

Gretl (GNU Regression, Econometrics & Time Series Library) is another application worth mentioning to the university crowd and can be found at http://gretl.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for initiating this thread and leading with your list of apps.