Re: Linux does what it's meant to.

Jason Powers wrote:

Again, though, Microsoft never entered into it, but it doesn't need to be excluded, either. You can DIY a Win2k shop pretty easily, just stop paying for MS support and stick with that older version of the OS and software. Our windows desktops haven't touched any MS Software post-2k and I find myself doing a lot of the same things I do with the Fedora machines. We could go with MS Datacenter and get updated licenses and SLA and whatnot and not have to worry about any of it, but I don't like how many things you get tied to - you lose the ability to adapt later. This is no different than Sun or HPUX or AIX in my opinion.

Jason Powers

There's a serious problem with DIY Windows - at some point M$ will stop issuing security updates and then you're fucked! Even if you had the expertise, there isn't a lot you can do to fix security holes in closed source software.

I've written code that runs on Sun, HPUX and AIX and believe me, there is a world of difference. The devil is in the details.

John