Re: TurboTax - Linux?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:32:21 -0500, David Curry <dsccable@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >To answer Robert, I just finished doing my taxes with Turbo Tax and I was
> >running under wine (wine-20050111-1fc3winehq.i686.rpm) on Fedore 3.
> >
> >Now, before I attempted it, I installed winetools
> >(http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools).  Follow the installation
> >instructions for this little jewel completely, and it will insure that you
> >have most of everything you need.
> >
> >When that is completed, insert your CD and run the setup.exe.  It runs quite
> >well (I wouldn't consider it 100%, sometimes help windows appear and won't go
> >away or get out of the way, but you soon learn to work around it).
> >
> >I think that the Wine development guys ought to all have a toast, along with
> >Frank Hendriksen and Joachim von Thadden.
> >
> >Rich
> >

> Thank you, Rich.  Your message was the first time I have seen any say
> explicitly that they have been able to get TurboTax to run in Wine.
>
> Thanks also to those thread contributors reporting that Intuit had
> backed off of their copyright protection scheme.

Cool.  This is really good to know.  Kind of OT but connected is that
OSX kind of gave me years ago a new model of thinking about linux in a
three layered approach.

MacOSX in its now BSD glory gives Linux a clue to where its head
should be in viewing itself:

    * Base layer--kernel, file system, and command line innards.

    * Compatibility layer--all the Wine tools needed to run MS-Office
or other programs right out of the box.

    * Interface layer--an integrated desktop environment where
everything, including all system tools, have the same look and feel.

Many Linux companies have begun thinking about the OS not just being
the base layer with all the rest of the pieces as being simply add-ons
for the adventurous.  This is the start a true Linux desktop choice
for the masses.

But I really think that Wine is important not because I want to
install crap load of proprietary Windows software.

But its a comfort thing.  People feel more comfortable knowing they
have a choice even if they do NOT use it.

Most Mac fans I knew waiting for OS X till they had enough cash to get
OS X versions of their fav apps.  But that compatibility layer gave
them a sense of comfort they did not have before.

Plus, there is always the games and the numbnuts that ship all their
network diagrams in Visio and bosses that insist you update the
Project file on the shared network in MS Project.