Re: booting Fedora 3 from boot disk

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:56 -0500, Gentian Hila wrote:
Hi,

I installed fedora 3 on my machine which has a windows xp in it as
well. I installed GRUB as the boot loader not in MBR but in Fedora
partition.

Seems to be grub day today.

Strangely enough, (very different from FC1 and previous RedHat
versions), fedora did not ask me to create a boot disk.

Current kernels are too big for a floppy - as you apparently already learned from comment below.

So I cannot boot to fedora. I do not want to install GRUB on MBR.

Why not? That seems like the cleanest solution.

Actually, my favorite arrangement for dual-boot machines is to install grub in /boot and make /boot active with fdisk. That way, overwriting the MBR doesn't screw things up like this. (If you do reinstall Windows, you still have to re-mark the /boot partition active, though.)

tried to enter in linux rescue mode and create a bootdisk through
mkbootdisk but it didnt work since the system is mounted in
/mnt/sysimage and the kernel is looked up in /lib/modules.

Did you do "# chroot /mnt/sysimage"?

I tried to create a floppy boot disk in another machine that had FC3
but it was bigger that a floppy, so then I created a CD boot disk
through mkbootdisk.

Now when I used that boot cd I typed linux
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 (this is weird because fedora 1 was on
/dev/hdc5 which I tried without success as well)  because there it
says that Fedora is installed, but for some reason it fails to mount
the system.

It says:

mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed 22
unmount  .initrd/dev failed 2
Kernel panic - not syncing Attempted to kill init. !

The iso boot image probably has an inappropriate initrd.

There was antoehr thread recently about how to get rescue to see the LVM filesystems. Check the archives at mailman.redhat.com or at gmane.com.

How can I start Fedora 3 ? How can I create a cd or whatever to make it work ?

Please help as I am completely stuck ......

As discussed in recent "Re: Grub loading stage2 error" thread - you need to get the windows bootloader to chain to grub on the boot partition if you don't want to use GRUB in the MBR. I have no experience doing it, but know it is possible.

Or install GRUB in /boot's boot record and just make it the active partition. This is easy to do during installation, but a bit trickier after the fact. (Making the partition active still has to be done with fdisk after the first time you install, but not after subsequent installs if you use the same boot partition). The grub info pages have what you need, but they take some patience and persistence to read through.

Phil

-- Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu