Re: What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

On 2/14/2005 3:39 PM Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:31:22 -0500, John Swartzentruber
<nospam2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think this is a more general question than just MySQL, so I'm asking
it here.

I am running FC3, which comes with MySQL 3.23. I would like to run a
more recent version. I tried updating to version 4.1 using yum and the
fedora-devel repository, but after downloading lots of updates and
dependencies, it still ended up with an incompatibility and didn't do
the update.

remove the fedora provided mysql rpms and use the ones provided by mysql.com

What will this do to rpms that depend on the mysql-3.23 rpm?

For that matter, how do I determine what depends on a package? I did a "man yum" and a "man rpm", but I didn't see what I was looking for (I did find the reverse). Is there a good way to determine in advance what a "yum remove" will do without having it actually remove a package and all packages that depend on it?

Thanks for your help.