Re: machine set to "auto-shutdown"?

HaJo Schatz wrote:
On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 22:34 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

Yes. First check the settings on the Advanced tab for Preferences -> Screensaver. There is the option in Power Management to power down your system as one of the settings.

No. That setting powers off the Monitor, it does not shut down the system.

Thank you. I reread it, and it says Display Power Management.

Second, check your system's BIOS to see if there is a similar setting.

Again most likely wrong. The OP said that sometimes it also shuts down while he's working on the machine.

Interesting. I guess I missed this, as I thought he said that the system powers down after remaining idle for a period.

jay: When the shutdown occurs, note the current time (assuming your
system clock is dead accurate) and post everything in /var/log/messages
from that time stamp until the machine is physically off.

If your machine shuts down properly, you may want to boot with kernel
options "apm=off acpi=off" to make sure there's no spurious pwr
management event causing your shutdown.

Yep, this can be an ACPI problem. I have an APM kernel for this purpose, but my system seems to work just fine with ACPI enabled.

I even compiled a custom kernel for my IBM Thinkpad A22p so I could use Software Suspend 2 with the custom ibm-acpi.
--
James McKenzie