Re: Kernel crash

From: Bob Chiodini <rchiodin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Fedora Core <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel crash
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:06:43 -0500

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 15:43 +0000, Chethiya Ranaweera wrote:

> >From: Bob Chiodini <rchiodin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: Fedora Core <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: Kernel crash
> >Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:40:15 -0500
> >
> >On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 05:24 +0000, Chethiya Ranaweera wrote:
> >

> > > Hey guys,
> > > I followed your instructions and made some improvements. But my luck ran
> >out
> > > and landed on some other problems. Ok let me explain.
> > > Like said above I turned off kudzu and rebooted in runlevel 3. Then the
> > > system got stuck on cups. So I booted my old kernel and turned off cups
> >also
> > > and rebooted with the new kernel on runlevel 3. This time it booted
> >without
> > > any problem and gave me the login screen. But now I can not use my
> >mouse or
> > > keyboard. The lights do not show up when I tried to move the mouse or
> >type
> > > in. Maybe because I turned off kudzu before. So I can get to login
> >screen
> > > w/o any problem and that's just it.... Now what should I do?
> > >

> >Chethiya,
> >
> >How about a complete description of your system, motherboard, disk,
> >graphics card, memory, etc. Excuse me if you already did, I did not see
> >it.
> >
> >Are you up to date with the latest packages. You're not running rawhide
> >are you?
> >
> >In the mean time you can try adding noapic to the kernel command line,
> >try booting a uniprocessor kernel (if it's a SMP box).
> >
> >Bob...
> >
> >--
> Bob,
> My system is up2date with the latest packages. And here is a description of
> the system:
>
> AMD Athlon 1.4 MHz
> MSI Mother board/ Nvidia nforce2 chipset
> 512 MB DDR Ram
> Geforce Fx 5200 Video card
> 160 GD Seagate HD
> Netgear NIC
> LCD Monitor

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Did you try the noapic
option? Also make sure your BIOS is at the latest revision and you are
not overclocking (too much).

Are there any errors during boot (dmesg| more) or look
in /var/log/messages.

If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, unplug any other USB devices.

Bob...

--
Yes, it worked. I am so happy to see the new kernel up and running. I typed uname -a and there it is, I can see the new kernel version. Thanks Bob, you were right. I disconnected all USB devices except my mouse and ran the new kernel on level 3. When promped I kept the old configuration of the USB devices and let the system boot. After that I turned off the system, connected all the devices and hit the power button. That's it, it boots smoothly w/o any problem. Had something to do with USB before. Anyways it feels good to be on top of technology and thanks for help everyone.