Re: Mounting old linux harddisk as slave under FC3?

Outstanding!  Thank you very much.  I am embarrassed that
I got the label switch figured out but not these steps.  So
I apologize for taking up the bandwidth.

Regards,
Matt

M.Clasen wrote:
hi there,

from your message i understand, that u like to get a new HD with a new
FC3 installation and like to get the old data accessed, i.e. for
mailimport or other things...

If so, its easy to mount the old as passive slave drive. Do this:

- mkdir i.e. /oldhd or better /mnt/oldhd
-mkdir /mnt/oldhd/boot and /mnt/oldhd/root
- set the jumper of the old HD to slave
- plug the old HD to Primary or Secondary Slave IDE port

after a new start you can mount the hd (wich should have at least 3
partitions on it) in the appropriate directories as
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/boot, mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/root

for permanent usage, you can add the mount-entries to /etc/fstab, so the
disc is mountet at startup.

now you can use it as passive datastorage, not bound to your system.

It is a nice way, to backup the old data to the new HD, format the old
HD as 1 patition only and mount the old HD as a new partition of your
new HD, i.e. /usr2 or /home or /tmp, anything, what makes sense :) with
this way, you got the unused swapspace and /boot-space of the old HD
back for your usage.