Re: Audio and internet

On 02/11/2005 10:29:28 PM, Lozza Hyde wrote:
Hello All!

I'm currently having a world of trouble getting core 3 on to my laptop. Barring the odd hiccup, it works fine on my desktop but for some reason I cannot get my laptop to:
1) play my audio cds with sound
2) dial my internet connection

My sound card works, if I download the files to ogg format they play with sound, but it won't run off the cd player. It doesn't give me an error message there is simply no sound.

I'm guessing your CD player is not connected to the sound card, and gnome-cd etc. want that. I don't know if that is configurable, but I do know at least on desktops, they want an audio cable from the cd drive to the sound card.

My internet connect too won't work. I have tried everything I can think of (text based dialers and the connection wizard) and it doesn't work. The most it will tell me is that it is getting error 8.
Connection error 8
The modem works, the laptop came with Windows default and it worked fine from there. F3 recognises the modem and will even attempt to dial, but I get no dial tone and then it spits out error 8.

I kind of suspect it is a winmodem - sometimes they work, sometimes no.
Mandrake linux allegedly has the best "OOB" winmodem support, but that info is at least a year old - try posting the hardware info for your modem and someone else who has that chipset may be able to help you get it working better.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/