Re: Creating Bootable Fedora CD to install

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:46:43 -0700, John J Kerwin III
<jjkerwin3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have dual boot pc with XP and Redhat 7.5, I want to upgrade the Redhat to
> the latest version of Fedora.  So I down loaded three files,
> yarrow-x86_64-disc1.iso, disc2, & disc3, and burn them to CDs, but I could
> not boot from disk1.  What step or steps am I missing in creating these CDs
> that is stopping me from making them bootable?

For a quick answer, you probably burned the isos as files to the CD.
You need to burn them as *images*.  There should be a Burn Image
option in whatever software you are using.  Doing so should make them
bootable.  If you did burn them as images (you will see multiple files
on the CD from a running system), check your BIOS settings to be sure
you are booting from the CD before the harddisk.  If you have two CD
drives, try the other one.
Okay, now for some other issues.  I believe yarrow is an older version
of Fedora (I think 2, maybe 1, but I don't remember right now).  I
highly suggest you get Core 3 instead.
Also, why are you downloading the x86_64 version?  This is only for
use with 64-bit processors such as AMD's Opteron or Athlon 64 or the
new Intel chips with EM64T support.  You probably want the i386 isos
instead.  I find it unlikely that you have RedHat 7.5 installed on a
brand new AMD64 machine.

Jonathan