Re: stupid spamassassin tricks

I have had a similiar problem.  However, I don't believe any of the suggestions so far have correctly identified the source of the problem.

I'm guessing that if you check your fetchmail logs you will find that the message is being rejected by the MTA (Sendmail or whatever) before it is even downloaded for spamassassin to check.  Fetchmail simply will not delete a message that was not successfully delivered, a safeguard for your protection.

I have had this going on for a while because I set up sendmail to do a reverse DNS lookup on all incoming mail.  If the email is coming from a bogus sender it gets rejected before the body of the message is accepted for download.  The problem is that fetchmail doesn't understand why the message wasn't delivered and therefore doesn't delete it.

If you check your fetchmail logs you should see that the source is a smtp error 451 for unresolved DNS (for sendmail...).

There is a fetchmail option that is supposed to allow you to watch for whatever error your MTA is sending.  The option is antispam(-Z from command line) followed by the error number.  This tells fetchmail that it should delete these messages even though they weren't delivered.

Sounds great, but it doesn't work.  Checked the fetchmail developer mailing list and there is a patch someone posted but I haven't tried it yet.

Probable less of a pain to change sendmail so it doesn't do a reverse DNS lookup.  The source of my problem.

Let me know if your logs indicate I'm right :-D or not :-? .

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org