FC3 vs. Windows 2000

Dear Fedora Advocates,
   My brother in law will be returning from Iraq
in another couple of months and one of the things
I am doing for him is to build him a computer.  He
is not technically adept and his computer activity
is pretty much limited to looking at his email
on yahoo and a little web surfing.  Sometimes he
prints an email or two.

I am vacillating on building an FC3 machine or a W2k
machine.

The advantages of the FC3 machine include no need for
antivirus software.  Less problems with spyware. No crashes.
and I can set up hosts.allow to allow me to maintain the
machine remotely.

The disadvantage for this application seems to be getting
the plugins for the browser in place.  Streaming video, PPS
files, Java applets, sound files, midi files, etc.  HP provides
a pretty good set of drivers for Linux so printing should work
well.

The question is:  Is there a small number of places I can go
to load the bulk of the plugins a general user might want?

The alternative is to wait till he encounters something he
cannot see and then go find and install the plugins one at
at time.

Thanks for any advice.

Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer (DMTS)