ATI PCI-E cards, fglrx and Fedora

   Has anyone installed Fedora Core 3 on a newer PC with the PCI-E
based Radeon cards from ATI (the X800 series in particular)? I know
that the latest fglrx 8.8.25 drivers claim to support these cards
but there seems to be some dispute over how well the DRI acceleration
is working on them. Since I recall how long it too for the original
DRI/agpgart support took to stabilize, I am concerned that the PCI-E
ATI cards may be crippled currently in that regard. My understanding
is that the PCI-E support is provided in the agpgart kernel module
in a manner like how pcigart support was (but faster hopefully). Does
anyhow have first hand experience of getting this to work with
performance as least as good as the Radeon 9600 XT agp cards? The
latest 800 MHz FSB motherboards for Xeon's all seem to use PCI-E
for graphics instead of AGP. I'll like to be certain before I spend
money on a new machine with a Radeon X800 XT that the opengl graphics
performance with the fglrx drivers won't be crippled compared to a
similar machine with AGP. Thanks in advance for any information.
                  Jack