Re: NTP problem - Clock too fast for NTP to keep up?

On Thursday 10 February 2005 21:44, Peter Kiem wrote:
>> Give it some time, Gene. It seems to be far enough off it may take
>> a day or so to get down to 2ms type errors. (And if you have
>> ntpdate running please be nice to yourself and turn it off. It
>> will screw up the feedback loop ntp uses to average out bad data.)
>
>Are you saying that you can run ntpdate and ntpd at the same time?
>
>When I try to ntpdate when ntpd is running I always get "the NTP
> socket is in use, exiting" and have to stop ntpd first.

I was, earlier today, stopping ntpd for 2 minutes and running ntpdate
in the middle, but I've been advised that will so confuse the issue
as to be a disaster of sorts, so the crontab entry that was running
ntpdate (actually a wrapper script around it) has now been shut down
for a few hours while ntpd tries to arrive at a stable time.  Its a
fraction of a second off right now, so progress is definitely being
made.

Pay attention to JoAnne's (jdow) advice as so far she has been spot
on.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)