Re: [OT] winXP bug with FC3 LVM

Dale Sykora wrote:

Giulio Sorrentino wrote:

Dale Sykora wrote:

I thought I would post this here as it appears related to FC3 (although it appears a winXP bug) and this may be useful to some. If you have a system with FC3 and LVM and then you try to boot and install winXP, the winXP setup will lockup with a blank screen after the "Setup inspecting ..." message. If you reboot with Linux, delete the partitions, and reboot with winXP, winXP setup works normally.

It's sound similar to hard disk's geometry bug: I've read of people that had it even with FC3.
Try to check partition's geometry next time.

Giulio,
I'm not sure what the root cause is, but I have noticed this on 2 systems. One is an amd64 MSI K8N Neo 2 with 160GB sata drives. The other system is a p4 HP tc2120 with 18GB scsi drives. Because of this variety of hardware, I suspect it is just a winXP bug that shows up when an LVM partition is found.

Thanks,

Dale

The problem that I mentioned is explained on: http://lwn.net/Articles/86835
Fedora alter the table partition with wrong values, windows expects a sane table partition so hang.

So the next time, try to check the integrity of partitions (i've corrected the options of my e-mail client).