Re: Help: X Problem - ATI Rage XL PCI

Thiago Amaury Ferraz wrote:
Hello all!

I am with a problem to configure my X.. on FC3.. I have a ATI Rage XL PCI
video controller, VGA connector, 8M, and, when I try to use or to configure
the X.. I don´t receive an error but I can´t use the X.. and the text mode
has a crash.. the display stay black.. and I need to reboot the server..

Someone knows how I can get a better driver.. or to configure to solve this
problem?

I´m gonna appreciate, really, any help!
TAF

Try changing your xorg.conf with something like these entries. I found this with a search. I don't have this video controller type. Tis may or may not do the trick.

Jim

http://www.cpqlinux.com/Linux-Installation-Guide.html

Here is a sample of the "Device" section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file for the RIB board:

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
        #Option     "accel"
        #Option     "crt_screen"
        #Option     "composite_sync"
        #Option     "linear"
        #Option     "mmio_cache"
        #Option     "probe_clocks"
        #Option     "reference_clock"
        #Option     "shadow_fb"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI"
	BoardName   "Mach64 GV"
	ChipSet     "ati"
	ChipId      0x4756
	ChipRev     0x7a
	BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

We found that the only lines that change were the following 4 lines:

	BoardName   "Mach64 GV"
	ChipId      0x4756
	ChipRev     0x7a
	BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The
man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.