Re: Installing CUPS RPMS

On Tue February 8 2005 7:40 pm, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I have the same problem for every kernel after 2.6.9-1.724_FC3
> >
> >I have to boot my machine with 724. Anything else requires a cold boot to
> > get the machine restarted.
> >
> >I can find nothing in any log, and no messages appear on the screen. The
> >system just locks up dead to the world.
> >
> >===
> >
> >On Tue February 8 2005 6:48 am, Mark Haney wrote:
> >>Okay, I'm gonna ask this a different way, I hope it triggers a memory
> >>for someone.  For the last week or so, one of my FC3 boxes hangs when
> >>starting the CUPS service.  I've tried to remove the CUPS rpms and re-
> >>installing them, but in every case during the install of the RPMS the
> >>CPU pegs and the machine hangs.  This box is pretty plain, nothing
> >>special configured on it, no weird hardware or anything.  So the
> >>question is, has anyone seen anything like this?  Or got any ideas on
> >>how to fix it?  I'm completely stumped.
> >>

> >>--------------------------------------
> >>Mark Haney
> >>markh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) Kernel: 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 GNU/Linux
> >>07:45:31 up 3 days, 22:43, 1 user, load average: 0.40, 0.65, 0.37
>
> It maybe useful to have full specs of this machine, maybe you don't have
> exotic hardware, but you may have agingn or failing pieces of hardware
> that are starting to decay. Who knows maybe even file a bug report with
> your machine's specs... It could also be helpful to know if both of
> these computers share something in common that may be causing this
> problem to appear?? I still think that having full specs of both would
> be interesting to at least rule out any HW dependant factors.

===

My machine is an:
   eMachine T-2240
   Celeron 330  -  2.6 Ghz
   1GB RAM
   2 Maxtor Hard IDE drives
       (40GB) (180GB)
   nVIDIA GeForce FX5700
       (256MB, AGP 8X, 2D/3D w/ TV-Out - SKU: 256A8N332AX)
   2 NICs
       (The one built into the system board and a LinkSys 10/100)
   Adaptec 2940 SCSI Card
       (Currently the only thing connected is an HP ScanJet4p with Auto Doc)
Feeder.

Is there any additional information that would be useful to include?