Re: Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Carroll Grigsby wrote:
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 08:50 pm, Bruce Elliott wrote:

snip

What I'm planing to do is to resinstall the
smallest version of SuSE Linux that I can, in dual-boot mode (I hope
that won't clobber anything in the Fedora install, aside from borrowing
some disk space), and then to see what its xorg.conf looks like.  X had
run fine under SuSE, I just got rid of it because it was only the Server
edition (from my workplace) and had no application software.

I'll post anything useful that I learn.

thanks for the help,
Bruce

Bruce:
Rather than going through all of the hassle of installing and then uninstalling SuSE, it would be a lot less work if you used a live-CD distro; Knoppix is especially good at identifying and configuring hardware.
-- cmg

Also, the xorg.conf file is not the exact problem causing the error. The problem is with the xorg-x11 driver for the i810 video cards.

The only thing that I see is to add the
Option "NoAccel"
To the xorg.conf file, then get the xorg-x11 where the breakage was resolved/reduced for the 810 and 815 video chipset class.

Going through installing SUSE also to check the config file seems to be a lot of work, but I have resorted to some very out of the ordinary workarounds or detective methods also.

Jim

--
You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.