Compiling programs and KDE

I bought a book called Linux Timesaving Techniques for Dummies (yes, I know, I'm a dummy. And a newbie. And clueless. Yada yada yada). In giving an example of how to compile programs, the authors used superkaramba as a working example. At the ./configure stage, they say to enter the following command:

$ ./configure --prefix=$(kde-config-prefix)

They then say that the --prefix stuff is "unique" to KDE and to use "configure --help" to get more configuration options for KDE and non-KDE programs.

Before I pose the question, yes, I searched google-linux, various forums, etc., and haven't found an answer.

Okay, long build up, here's the question (or questions): If the README or INSTALL file in the tarball doesn't say it, how do I know what programs need to be configured with this prefix stuff? Is there a general type or category that requires it? How do I tell if the program I'm compiling is one of them?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone would be so kind as to provide.

P.S. If this has already been answered on this list, I apologize for not having found it myself. Also, if I have unwittingly blundered into some mailing list etiquette minefield, I would be happy to be schooled on my transgression(s) by some kind soul.