Re: Incomplete Distro???

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:03:31AM -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> I think Matt's answer was from FC3, not FC2.

I checked on both, actually.

FC2 has glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.44, and FC3 glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.87.
I don't think there's been updates for either.

I've been wrong before, though. :)

> The distro CDs (disk 1 or 2) should have the required package, and in
> FC2 IIRC the headers are in the kernel-source RPM which is on disk 2.

There's also the separate kernel-headers (well, glibc-kernheaders) package.
As the later/current name indicates, these are supposed to match the kernel
your glibc was built against, not necessarily the currently running kernel.

> BTW, I reread your message about the required kernel-headers-2.4-9.34
> and then checked what is in FC2 and FC1.
> FC1 starts with kernel 2.4.22
> FC2 starts with kernel 2.6.5
> However, kernel-utils is 2.4-9 in both.

Yeah, kernel-utils, but not kernel-headers. :)

> The required package would imply you need headers for the 2.4 kernel,
> but FC2 has never had a 2.4 kernel.  It started with 2.6.5 kernel.

Apparently, the glibc package built on FC1 or RHEL for both of them. Kinda
weird, now that you mention it. :) Hmm, and the devel tree (rawhide) package
is 2.4-9.1.89 .... quite odd!

> I wonder what version of gcc you are installing and where you got it?
> It doesn't seem likely that it is a fedora package if it requires
> another package that is not provided by fedora.

Stuff like this happens sometimes -- for example, some packages still
require "XFree86-devel" even though that's been replaced with xorg-devel.
RPM can handle this fine because the replacement packages can explicitly
tell the system that the provide another package name in addition to their
own. In this case, the glibc-headers package requires kernel-headers, and
glibc-headers is required by glibc-devel, and glibc-devel is required by
gcc.

You know the famous saying: "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we
practice to use RPM directly instead of using Yum." Or at least, I think
that's how it goes. :)

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--