Re: Fedora Core 3 Sound Problems....?

Julian Daich wrote:

I'm new in Linux and apparently have the same problem. My question is
where can I introduce the" $chmod 664 /dev/hdc " command?

Julian

El sáb, 29-01-2005 a las 10:05 +0530, Vibhu Rishi escribió:

After installing Fedora, the first thing i notice is that i can't play
any VCD, DVD or even normal audio CDs; I "tested" my soundcard and it

I assume you are able to mount a data CD but not able to play your audio
CDs ?

If so, I had the same problem.

FC3 has a bug in the installation which makes the permissions of your CD
drive as 640. Change the permissions to 644 and your audio cds will
start playing. E.g. on my machine the CDROM drive is /dev/hdc ( use the
hardware browser to find out if you dont know)

$chmod 664 /dev/hdc

Working on the video part though. I have the same problem. Can't watch
Star Wars DVDs.. sigh ! :(

vibhu..
--

Panel pop-up menu --> System tools --> Terminal, or alternatively right click on the desktop --> Open Terminal

Su - at the prompt and enter your root password. Enter the command at the prompt. After execution of the command, return to user via the exit command, close the terminal via the exit command.

You should get a hold of some reference books on linux and do some reading before trying to post many more messages. A good starting point might be pdf files of Red Hat Linux 9.0 "Getting Started", "reference", and "customization" guides available through following links on Fedora documentation or links on documentation at Red Hat's home web site.