Re: Install hang question ...

David Cary Hart wrote:

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 13:36 -0500, mconsidine@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,
I believe I've correctly searched the archives for this
answer, but found nothing.  Hopefully, someone can point me
in the right direction ...

I just finished a plain-vanilla install of Core 3.  Upon the
first reboot, I get to the following point on the screen :

Starting udev: [ OK ]
Initializing hardware ... storage network audio done [ OK ]
Configuring kernel parameters:

and at this point it seems to be hung.  Pressing
<Ctrl><SysRq> results in
 /etc/init.d/functions: line 428:
/etc/rhgb/temp/rhgb-console: Interrupted system call
but it still seems hung.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to
fix/reinstall to get this going?  There were no errors
during the install, and the only message I note upon booting
is
ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

Try noacpi on the boot command line

The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS D300 (PII 300Mhz) with
128M RAM and one 8Gb harddisk.  The install is a fresh
"desktop" install (i.e. nothing is being preserved on the
old drive and default choices are selected for installation
options).

FWIW, I've had RH 9 running on this machine before as part
of a dual boot system, so the machine is actually capable of
working :)

Any fixes that people have or that I could be pointed to
would be appreciated.  And I really apologize if this is
covered somewhere and I've missed it.

Regards,
Matt Considine
Doylestown, PA

If rhgb is causing the problem you can get into the GRUB menu select the right kernel, and press 'a' to edit the kernel arguments. Then remove the rhgb part.