Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Kevin Fries wrote:

The real bitch in all of this is that I am trying hard to eliminate
Windows in our workplace, and this incident set us way back.  Because
Linux will not talk to a basic scanner, I just got "schooled" on why
Linux is imappropriate for all business use.  Everyone in the forum
knows that this is crap, but we are talking about business not technical
people making the final decision (account not me writes the checks).
This is why beta (and udev is late alpha early beta stage) software
should not be in a stable distro tree!!!!  This is business 101 people.
~ How can we battle the Microsofting of our networks, with all its
security nightmares, if we can not offer an alternative that can talk to
a basic scanner, webcam (for video conferencing), etc?

So you want a different policy of Fedora.

I personally love the release cycle of Fedora Core, udev works perfectly on a desktop and a notebook here.

In a company with +100 desktops I might not use Fedora Core as distribution at all, because I might go for a very conservative approach and might prefer longer lifecycles (Red Hat is providing such a solution as well, other distributors may provide that as well).

But: the short release cycles and being able to use newest developments are the main reasons why I personally chose FC as my favorite distribution, and I work with it (so I do not use rawhide and do not install test-releases).

As a user (I am not a developer, I am not a programmer, I work with FC and was able to quit using Windows at all thanks to Fedora) I definitely would not appreciate a more conservative approach of the FC-releases. If I would prefer that, I would change the distribution or use working FC-releases longer.

And I love new hardware, and Fedora gives me the opportunity to use Linux with it. Other distributions failed with this task.

--
Regards
Markus Huber