Re: custom kernel

1. Obtain and install the src.rpm
2. Edit the spec file to compile a kernel-source.rpm
3. Install the kernel-source.rpm which installs the complete source tree
to /usr/src.
4. Make mrproper, make menuconfig, make all, make modules_install, make
install, make clean.

You now have a new, fully customized kernel, ready to run, with
grub.conf updated.

"But it's not an RPM." So what?

I would love to give this a try and most definitely will do it, however from what I read, you would need the rpm database to know about to new kernel to let up2date know about the newly installed kernel. Or is there another way of letting up2date know that I have a new kernel ?

Thanks,
shashank