Re: Lost Sound

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 09:58 -0500, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Newbie asks...
>
>     I have the FC1 DVD from the "LInux for Dummies" and I downloaded
> FC3 from Redhat. When I installed FC1, the install sound detection was
> able to find and play sound. Seeing that most people here us FC3, I
> tried installing it. It looks and works much better, however, the
> sound detection did not work when I installed it. Why would a OS
> version that is supposed to be better not find things that the older
> OS found.
>
> Mark

1. What modules are loaded?   It may have installed the module and you
not know it. "lsmod" will give you that.

2. If the modules are loaded it is likely that the volume controls in
the mixer are turned down/muted.
aumix or alsamixer should tell you that.

you can do Menu --> System Settings --> Soundcard Detection to find out
if the soundcard was detected and the module loaded.  If the test sound
plays then it is likely a mixer volume that is preventing you from
hearing the sound.