Re: linux newbie trying to configure my cable modem/router

On Friday 04 February 2005 20:49, iurodivii wrote:
>have installed fedora core 3 and am stumped trying to configure the
> DNS, DHCP, NIC, router, etc.  I have never programmed before and am
> used to the plugnplay installation of windows.  which is exactly
> why i am intent on learning this stuff...
>
>I know that my cable internet provider provides me with a dynamic IP
> but i don't even know what to do with that. I have been cruising
> the web for days and reading a couple of books but they all assume
> a little more foundational knowledge than i have.  can anyone steer
> me in the right direction?
>
>Much Appreciated

Security wise, you would be far better off to stick a router that has
dsl abilities on its 'wan' port between the cable modem and your box.
Something along the lines of a Lynksys BEFSR41 fills this bill nicely.

That way, you don't worry about network addresses except in house,
which should all be on non-routable private addresses such as
someplace in the 192.168.xxx.xxx block where xxx can be almost
anything from 1 to 254, don't use the 0 and 255 addresses as they
have a special use in many cases.  These routers have all the PPPoE
and that sort of facilities built in, and generally speaking, a
builtin firewall at least as good as iptables can be setup for, but
without trashing your logs as the script kiddie rarely makes it to
your logs.  The router will generally stop them cold.  I've had two
attempts on this network in 2 years, and both of them came from
compromized verizon DNS servers.

Setup /etc/host files that define your local addresses.  That keeps
local network maintainance down as you always know that the machine
out in the shop is at so and so and an address, resolvable from its
own name in the host file.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)