Re: newbie installation question (quickie)

Actaully I didn't burn them myself, they're borrowed.

Anyhow I'm past that point; I rebooted and this time anaconda worked. Must have dropped an interrupt or something the 1st time....

But now I have a new question(s) on security & networking:

In my efforts to get ftp, telnet etc. working (both in & out) I've found myself reading about all sorts of security code delivered w/ fc3. Kerberos, selinux, and 1 or 2 others.

Now, how is all this stuff organized? Which tools are important and which can I ignore?

Secondly, I'm having a tough time getting remote access working. In fact the only thing I've got working is ftp (vsftpd). Neither telnet, nfs or the r-commands work.

NFS clients attempting to mount can't find the portmapper. According to the logs, the portmapper did start...

From the linux box, I can't ping a thing-- either by name or by IP. OK,
is either routed or gated running? No. To cut to the chase, I did a full disk 'find' for either routed or gated and neither was installed. What package did I miss?

thx for your pointers. (If there's a supplementary setup/configure howto around somewhere, please just give me a pointer, thanks.)

--
Douglas Frank
HP Co.