Re: STMP Auth Failure

Paul Howarth wrote:

Robin Curts wrote:

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:06 -0600, rcurts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I CAN send mail to <my_username>@<hostname_of_box>.com ... but if i send
to an outside domain I get the error.

The AUTH section of my sendmail.mc file:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl

Try removing the "p" for the first line, like this:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl

I believe the "p" parameter only allows encrypted authentication, and
will expressly prevent SMTP AUTH unencrypted mechanisms like PLAIN and
LOGIN unless the session is encrypted.

For most people, allowing PLAIN and LOGIN SMTP AUTH is no greater risk
than they already have, since POP and IMAP *also* transmit unencrypted
passwords. Hence, no damage done  by removing the 'p'.

I think it should work with that one change. Try it and see!

Cheers,

A few answers to the folks that have been helping me:

I took the "p" out of the confAUTH_OPTIONS to allow for encrypted user/pass's, and I still get the same error. I tried that a few times in my barrage of tests with sendmail.mc :)

Silly question perhaps but you are rebuilding your sendmail.cf and restarting/reloading sendmail after making changes to sendmail.mc, aren't you?

I moved the LOG_LEVEL to 15 and I got the following output from maillog:
Feb 4 12:41:59 localhost sendmail[8286]: j14Hf6sq008286: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=rcurts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, relay=wbar15.tmp1-4-8-050-019.tmp1.dsl-verizon.net [4.8.50.19], reject=550 5.7.1 rcurts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.
(not much help -- just the Proper Auth Required message really)

I did add saslpasswd2 for the user i am trying to log in as, no help there either.

When i telnet to my host on port 25 i issue "ehlo localhost" and "auth login". here's the output:
220 intrastudios.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:20:39 -0500
ehlo localhost
250-intrastudios.com Hello wbar15.tmp1-4-8-050-019.tmp1.dsl-verizon.net [4.8.50.19], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
auth login
504 5.3.3 AUTH mechanism login not available

The AUTH line shows that your server is only accepting DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5 authentication, so AUTH login won't work.

Note: I have both outlook and thunderbird set to "My SMTP Server Requires Authentication". Outlook tries once and sends me an underliverable email saying "Relaying Denied. Proper authentication required." Thunderbird just prompts me over and over for my password, until I hit cancel and then it all fails.

You'll probably need to get AUTH LOGIN working for Outlook but I'm using CRAM-MD5 without problems on Thunderbird.

Paul.

This is interesting, I'm not sure how to fix it... but it seems like my subdomain is incorrect:
[SVR:mail]$=> sendmail -d0.1 -bv root
Version 8.13.1
Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX
MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6
NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS
USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
     (short domain name) $w = intrastudios
 (canonical domain name) $j = intrastudios.com
        (subdomain name) $m = com
             (node name) $k = intrastudios.com

(forgive me... i'm a programmer, never had the chops to be a linux admin :) :) )

--
/**
* Robin Curts * rcurts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx