Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Fries" <Kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rahul Sundaram" <rahulsundaram@xxxxxxxxx>; "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

The real bitch in all of this is that I am trying hard to eliminate
Windows in our workplace, and this incident set us way back.  Because
Linux will not talk to a basic scanner, I just got "schooled" on why
Linux is imappropriate for all business use.  Everyone in the forum
knows that this is crap, but we are talking about business not technical
people making the final decision (account not me writes the checks).
This is why beta (and udev is late alpha early beta stage) software
should not be in a stable distro tree!!!!  This is business 101 people.
~ How can we battle the Microsofting of our networks, with all its
security nightmares, if we can not offer an alternative that can talk to
a basic scanner, webcam (for video conferencing), etc?

| devfs is a bad alternative for above mentioned reasons. file bugs in
| bugzilla.redhat.com against udev

Further reason this was a bad decision.  Don't make the step forward
until you know the ground can hold your weight, or you just might find
yourself in a freefall.

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator
Hydrologic Consultants, Inc of Colorado
(303) 969-8033    FAX: (303) 969-8357

I have to agree with Kevin on this. I am really amazed at the whole udev debacle. To me it seems that we are trying to adopt a form of "Plug and Play" for Linux. While the concept is cool, I wonder if it is really necessary. What I mean is, the old method (tons of files in /dev) Just Worked(TM). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now having said that, I am not a programmer so I am not sure how much work it has been to keep all of those special files.

Thomas