Re: FC3 and NTFS

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 21:14 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > still need W2K for certain jobs, although I hope that the number of such
> > jobs will approach zero as time goes by.
> >
> > Thanks.  -Loren
>
> Hi Loren,
>
> Sure, but do you ned to look into the actual programme files? All your data
> (atually for that matter you whole XP) can be on a fat32 partition. Linux has
> full  read and write ability for that. That's what I have.
>
> Xp -> happy and running on an NTFS partition
> files/ junk/ personal stuff -> happy and humming on a fat32 partition
> FC3 -> blazing off in glory on an ext3 partition
>
> Duncan

Good idea, Duncan.  Actually I do have a spare partition which I could
use exactly in that way.  The only real reason I am using NTFS under W2K
is that it is apparently more stable than FAT32.  I have had BIG
problems with FAT32 in the past (under W98SE).

Another possibility would have been to burn a CD under W2K with all the
files I need and then read it under FC3.  That works, but since I use
Spanish, with accented vowels, in numerous file names, I get very ugly
results under FC3.  By hand-editing (one file at a time) I can correct
it all, but it takes too much time.

I think I'll try your suggestion.

Loren